The LabCell is the laboratory for Solar Cell manufacturing of IES-UPM. This Lab is equipped with tools especially suited for the fabrication of non-conventional solar cell designs, the so called third-generation solar cells of different kinds. Just to name a few of these devices, at LabCell we routinely produce:
- Bifacial solar cells
- III-V multijunction solar cells
- Intermediate Band solar cells
- Three-terminal heterojunction bipolar transistor solar cell
- Thermophotovoltaic cells
- Silicon based tandem cells
- Solar cells based on 2D materials
- Lead-free perovskite solar cells
- III-V/Si hybrid tandem solar cells
- Flexible solar cells
- High efficiency ultrathin solar cells
- Laser light converters for power-by-light applications
At LabCell we host a number of tools to process the aforementioned devices and the alike or perform any of their manufacturing steps. Just to name a few of the possibilities available we have:
- Absorber growth and synthesis: we have MOVPE and MBE reactors for the growth of III-V structures, and a complete infrastructure for crystalline silicon solar cells. We also have synthesis equipment for 2D chalcogenides
- Photolithography: Accurate UV-light based photolithographic process (down to 2 µm) through mask aligner transferring geometric patterns from a photomask on a spin-coated photoresist over semiconductor wafers.
- Metal thin-film deposition of various layers over samples (specifically for different types of semiconductor, i.e. solar cells contacts):
- Thermal evaporation: Up to three different materials in a single process.
- E-Beam Physical Vapour Deposition technology (EBPVD): Up to six different metals.
- Electroplating: Deposition of gold, nickel and others, such as electroless nickel.
- Thermal treatments through RTP (Rapid Thermal Process) for semiconductor annealing.
- Various wet etching processes: selective and non-selective wet mesa etching,
semiconductor surface preparation, substrate removal, etc.
- Anti-reflective coating deposition through EBPVD: various dielectric layers can be deposited to form multilayer anti-reflection coatings over samples (semiconductor or others).
A price list for these services can be downloaded here: LabCell Costs 2021